CSI Agriculture Department | Water Resource Management

Water Resource Management

Contact Person: Jeff Cooper
Office Location: Evergreen A-36
Direct Phone: 208-732-6405
Email: jcooper@csi.edu


The college offers two areas of Water Resource Management emphasis:

  1. Municipal/Industrial- emphasizes potable water and wastewater distribution and treatment processes.
  2. Environmental- focuses on water uses for wildlife habitat, irrigation, and protection of quality.

What Will I Learn?

Water Resource ManagementThe Water Resource Management program prepares students to meet the needs of environmental, municipal, industrial, and agricultural water management. Students learn about water quality, measurement, pumping, and the legal aspects associated with water use. This leads to a two-year Associate of Applied Science degree or a one-year Technical Certificate.

If you are currently employed in the water/wastewater industry and seeking a degree but can't be on campus, distance education classes are available. Also, people holding a state water or wastewater certificate may be eligible for automatic credit. Class 2, 3, and 4 are worth 12 credits for each level up to a maximum of 36 credits.

What Is the Pay Range?

Most jobs are within $8.00 - $20.00 per hour. Retirement and insurance benefits are almost always included in municipal/industrial water management.

What types of jobs?

  • Water/Wastewater Treatment Operator - Maintains water/wastewater plants within state & federal water quality standards. Many opportunities exist in this rapidly growing field.
  • Laboratory Technician - Analyzes water and makes recommendations for its suitability for a particular use.
  • Hydrology Assistant - Accurately measures surface and ground water resources.
  • Natural Resource Management - Conducts water measurements and does water quality testing for wildlife habitat suitability. Land reclamation is also a possibility.
  • Irrigation Company Technician - Measures water and maintains irrigation delivery systems.

How to Begin

  1. Complete the application for admission form and return it to the CSI Records Office.
  2. Complete the college COMPASS placement exam at any state college or university. This test assists advisors with placement of students into appropriate math and English classes. There is no fee. Plan on two or three hours for this exam. A copy of the scores must be sent to the CSI Records Office and the WRM program advisor.
  3. Have official copies of all college transcripts sent to the CSI records office and an unofficial copy sent to the WRM advisor.
  4. If you hold an Idaho water or wastewater class II, III, or IV certificate, have the state CEU director send a copy to the WRM advisor. Twelve credits for each classification may be transferred to a college transcript from CSI for a fee of $21.00 per credit. Up to one-third of the total credits required for a degree may be filled with “classification credits” without petition.
  5. Submit a letter of intent to apply for admission into the WRM program to the program advisor outlining your career goals, degree sought, tentative starting semester and contact information.
  6. Meet with the WRM program advisor for class registration. Registration for the Fall semester starts in mid-April and the semester starts the last week in August.  Registration for the Spring semester starts just before Thanksgiving and the spring semester begins in mid-January.  Send the Registration Form to the CSI Records Office.
  7. Fill out the residency form and have your county representative sign the agreement that they will pay the additional $50 per credit assessed for people living outside the taxing district (Jerome and Twin Falls counties). Current in-district tuition costs are $105.00 per semester credit hour.  Send this form to the CSI Records Office.

    Three of the program required classes, Water Measurement, Introduction to Hydrology, and Legal Issues of Water Management are available through video tape and/or internet. The starting and ending periods for these distance education classes are the same as for regular on-campus classes.

    Other required general education classes or support classes can be completed at any accredited college or university but the last 15 credits prior to graduation for the AAS or 7 credits for the TC must be completed as CSI credits.